Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
It appears the tune is a requirement for the headers regardless of other exhaust components.

The headers can cause a lean situation if not tuned from what I read.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I am going with stock style muffler and stock intake. Do i still need a tune. I am just doing the headers to fix the possible cracks. And if i do tune because others say it's needed.
If you are going with Cajun's Stage 1 (JBA Headers and his catted BPipes), then they (Cajun and UpRev) are going to tell you the UpRev tune is a necessity to keep it from running lean and burning out the cats. The other tuners (SuperChips, Bullydog, etc) do not offer the granularity in tuning that is needed to make the necessary adjustments.

But even with the stock muffler and intake, you will gain performance (HP and torque) out of having the UpRev tune. Yeah, the $600 for the UpRev portion is a hard pill to swallow, but look at it this way:
OEM manifolds = $2,000 ($1,000 per side)
Cajun stage 1 package = $1,550 (Includes UpRev tune)

So you save $450 and get a setup that isn't going to crack again and you gain some performance out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Aftermarket headers, in any application, will always gain more HP & TQ. Since the engine is moving more air because of the headers, the ECU has to do its best in order to keep the air/fuel ratio stoich under closed loop. But once it goes into open loop, normal operating temp or even WOT, the a/f mixture starts to lean out because of the increased exhaust. At the end of the day, Uprev helps in preventing your truck from leaning out with the added mods, mainly the headers, but also nets additional HP/TQ while running as close to stoich as possible and dialing in whatever additional engine mods done to your truck.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Aftermarket headers, in any application, will always gain more HP & TQ. Since the engine is moving more air because of the headers,
But now that brings us back to the first part of the equation - The CAI.... right? The lungs can only take in as much air (or as quickly) as the nose will allow, type thing?

I recall doing the mod to the stock intake as one of the first mods I did. That mod consisted of removing a portion of the interior plastic of the stock intake. Imagined or real, I felt like I did gain some performance out of that simple mod.

This engine needs to breathe, so to me, it was logical and essential to put a quality aftermarket CAI in place for the other components to work optimally.
Feel free to make any corrections to my assumptions, Primo... you seem to be knowledgeable in this area.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
tchjts1, no disagreement or corrections needed regarding your view on a CAI kit. On just about every vehicle I’ve owned, a CAI was usually the first performance mod I’d throw on. Now when you start adding other power adders; headers, catback, cams, etc... a CAI is a huge plus because colder air = more oxygen. With more oxygen, it helps burn fuel more efficiently especially if other mods come into play. But to yield optimal gains, dialing it all in via a tune/tuning is necessary as we’ve all come to learn.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Question - if I decide to add a CAI after my tune will that mean I need a new tune?

Also what brand is recommended and does it make things louder? I’ve was not a fan of the CAI noise on other vehicles I’ve heard in the past.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Question - if I decide to add a CAI after my tune will that mean I need a new tune?

Also what brand is recommended and does it make things louder? I’ve was not a fan of the CAI noise on other vehicles I’ve heard in the past.
Same here .. Don't want to here that Wroooo Wrooo Wro

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Yeah, if you add more mods, you will need your tune to be adjusted for such, or at least analyzed and validated.
If I understand correctly, you have a year in which to do any further tunes, and I think a max of 3 tunes, before you would have to pony up some sort of fee.
I don't recall that a CAI made my exhaust much louder, but you could hear it sucking in air at the intake when you hammered it. To me, that was a beautiful sound. It meant the engine was getting the air it needed.

(Red text below are clickable links)
I've read that a fair amount of folks like Volant.
But I have also seen a post where it was unacceptably loud: https://www.clubarmada.com/threads/volant-cai-is-loud.22496/#post-200441
The Injen is also good (It's what I run) and is supposedly one of the more quiet CAI's
Also looks like the Airaid MXP gets good reviews, especially regarding sound. Don't know which unit on that page is the MXP though or if it has been discontinued.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
My 2 cents on the CAI. I have the JBA headers, Cajun catted b-pipes, JBA exhaust and UQ vibrant (exhaust was the last part). At one point I also had the S&B CAI installed but I took that out and went back to stock. The Armada was noticeably louder with that CAI installed - but that didn't bother me too much. The problem was that the truck didn't run as well with it in. After lots of data logging, trial and error and some emails about the tunes - I concluded that the shape / design of the S&B CAI tube does not work well with the stock MAF. The fuel trims were off and I think it is because the stock MAF cannot accurately read the real volume of air flowing through the S&B tube. I think there is more air getting into the combustion chamber than the MAF is reading - so then there is not enough fuel and the 02 sensors read lean and trim up to add more fuel. I don't remember exactly but I think my fuel trims were in the mid to high teens.

I am certainly no tuning expert, but I eventually went back to the stock intake (with the minor cut out mod) and a good filter and have been much happier. Still have plenty of power and less noise. LTFT now sits around 7%

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
One other thing to remember when you are shopping for a CAI if you are in California - ask the seller if the CAI is C.A.R.B approved and if the C.A.R.B sticker comes with it. You will need to put the sticker inside the engine compartment at the top of the grill near the CAI.

If it is not CARB approved, you will have to put the stock intake back on each time you have to go for a smog check.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts

The only CAI I’d recommend is the AirRaid MXP. Barely audible while cruising and only when you go WOT, then it has a nice, deep, vacuum-like sound. Also, the MXP has been proven by several Titan owners in the past who dyno’d their truck, with the MXP obtaining the most gains in HP/TQ.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I think I may just stick with the OEM as I'm sure the headers and JBA Catback (with FloPro muffler) and tune will give me sufficient power (I'm very happy with the power as is). I didn't realize these things were upwards of $400 and I'm already dumping $2k into a truck that is worth, what, $8k? 😁

I also just did the CSF radiator for $350 + parts/fluids which were about $100.

I"m looking to replace my BMW (once I sell it) so my car money will go into that purchase - I'm just looking to fix the Armada so it lasts me another 140k!

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
I'm already dumping $2k into a truck that is worth, what, $8k? 😁
Don't compare what you've put into it against what it is worth... you'll go insane. ;)
At the end of the day all that matters is that you are happy with your Mada.

I've had my '07 for 10 years now and I will drive this thing into the ground, and it will have been worth every penny, blood, sweat and tear I have put into it. :)

But, to get back on track, no need to spend $400 on an aftermarket CAI. Consider doing the mod to the stock intake. It is really quite simple to do. I'd shoot an e-mail to Joe at UpRev and get his take on doing that mod. I'll see if I can find the mod link and update this post with it.

Here it is over on TitanTalk in all its glory of 22 pages. Haha.
Seems if you do that in conjunction with using a K&N filter, there is a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a problem with it needing a tune every time i change something . What happens every time i change the exhaust,and it rots off ? Do i have to get a tune every time? That can get expensive!

I may just keep the stock pipes,and reinforce them.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I have a problem with it needing a tune every time i change something . What happens every time i change the exhaust,and it rots off ? Do i have to get a tune every time? That can get expensive!

I may just keep the stock pipes,and reinforce them.
You only need to update your tune if you change a component from one type to another. If your muffler rots off and you put on another one of the same type you took off, no need for a new tune.

Also, I believe tuning services for 1 year (Up to 3 times) are included as part of the UpRev purchase.
And even if it were outside of that 1 year period, you don't spend another $600. Looks like it's $150 for custom tuning through e-mail with UpRev after you own their interface cable.

As far as reinforcing the stock manifolds, I don't believe there is any way to do that. In this below picture, they guy is pointing to where his crack is at (right arrow). Mine cracked where the left arrow is pointing.

You sound dead set against going with headers and a tune, so dude... just stay with stock stuff. If your manifolds are cracked or end up cracking down the road and they need replaced, my understanding is that they have improved the design to address the cracking issue. Whether or not that is true, I don't know.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah i think the problem is with the split flange,right below your fingers. I will weld that together, i believe that's why they are cracking.
As for the headers,i am not looking for more performance. Just want a cheap vehicle to tow. I may gut the stock headers and tune myself.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
You only need to update your tune if you change a component from one type to another. If your muffler rots off and you put on another one of the same type you took off, no need for a new tune.

Also, I believe tuning services for 1 year (Up to 3 times) are included as part of the UpRev purchase.
And even if it were outside of that 1 year period, you don't spend another $600. Looks like it's $150 for custom tuning through e-mail with UpRev after you own their interface cable.

As far as reinforcing the stock manifolds, I don't believe there is any way to do that. In this below picture, they guy is pointing to where his crack is at (right arrow). Mine cracked where the left arrow is pointing.

You sound dead set against going with headers and a tune, so dude... just stay with stock stuff. If your manifolds are cracked or end up cracking down the road and they need replaced, my understanding is that they have improved the design to address the cracking issue. Whether or not that is true, I don't know.

View attachment 48132
I really wanted to stay with stock myself but I am not aware of any improvements to the OEM design. I am still pending delivery of the new stuff and hoping that the guy who said he will do it still will when they actually come in. Else I’m starting g all over again.

Then there is the tune - I hope that does not cause any other issues but I haven’t heard of any.

I am all for better parts, but given the choice I would rather have OEM.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts