Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the issue where the wipers are on high when you put the fuse in and sometimes it will follow the setting the wiper stalk is at. As of now they don’t turn on at all but I’m wondering if it’s a switch or wiper motor issue.

I think I saw someone say if you take the switch out if it acts normal it’s the switch? Do I need any special tools to remove the switch?

·
Super Moderator
5,222 Posts
ive never done the procedure before but you can find the factory service manual online for free and look up the schematic yourself. ill assume you are talking about an older model car (first gen armada/qx?)...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Someone had to have this issue before it seems like the issue is on the turn signal side.. each time I make a right turn my wipers will turn on even if off.. and sometimes the speed won’t match what the switch is at but it’s definitely the turn signal side.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone??

im thinking about buying a headlight stalk to try next it seems like whenever I make a right turn with the turn signal the back wiper comes on (pulled fuse for front wiper) if you leave the turn signal on more times than not it will cause the back wiper to pause it’s sweep.

now I’m not sure if I should get the turn signal stalk what about the BCM? is it just drop in? My last thing is the Clock spring. No one ever comes back to respond if they found the issue or not I’m really trying to take care of this .

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I've been on this forum for a long time, and I don't remember anybody having this problem. But sounds like you're going about it the right way. Please, when you've solved your problem, come back and tell us what you did. That's how this forum gets better.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
The issues seem to be clockspring related but before throwing $$$ away on parts, find a shop that uses a full range diagnostic tool. Pocket scanners like the ones used at your local Autozone, Advance, etc. won’t be able to diagnose your issues.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The funny thing is say pressing the hazard switch on with no wipers on will trigger the rear wiper to make at least one sweep.. What I can't figure out is on the drive home no wipers on and no signal the wiper acts normal.. one switch left or right both front and rear come on.. now when I got home I had to use my left blinker and the wipers front and rear went crazy but both were off..

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
So, no idea what year your vehicle is. The first gen Armada's and QX's have the turn signal and wiper on separate stalks. Not sure about the 2nd gen. So, if you have a 1st gen, that would make me wonder whether the turn signal switch was causing your problem. Why couldn't it be the wiper switch? I kind of agree with @primoV8 that the clockspring is likely your issue. I'm not sure if there is any diagnostic tool that you could use that would tell you that is the problem for certain, but I could be really wrong about that. I don't think the clockspring is that expensive or that hard to change; a bunch of folks have had clockspring problems on this forum, causing symptoms different from what you are experiencing, and so there are plenty of threads on how to change one. Worst part is probably removing the steering wheel.

Keith

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry but yeah I have a '04 Armada I got a wiper stalk from an 07 Armada same thing not working right.. I'm thinking looking at pictures online online it looks like the turn signal and headlight switch are interconnected but the harness cable for the clockspring connects the two?

Just curious how the clockspring has the effect of this.

Btw I did order one but I'm iffy feeling this is the cause of it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clock spring should be coming today I just don’t get it.. so I drove home yesterday the rear wiper was fine until you use a turn signal.. or just pressing the hazard switch will trigger it.. if I understand the FSM the hazard switch also uses the BCM? Has anyone ever opened or seen inside of it?

does it have relays inside of it?

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
How old is your battery? Has it shown signs of getting weak? Today's cars are so complex these days that low or varying voltages can cause really bizarre behavior. The speedometer on my Armada would show I was going 120 mph when I was only going 25. A friend's Honda Odyssey minivan started opening the power side door whenever you adjusted the power mirror. Both times the battery failed a week or so later, and the behavior went away with the new battery. I'm beginning to agree with you now that this seems to be an electrical gremlin rather than a mechanical problem like a clock spring. If you suspect at all that your battery may be at end of life, you might consider doing that before going any further.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The battery has a sticker date of 4/19

I have a battery load tester I could always check that way as well but I don’t think it’s going to be that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I'm reading this in the FSM right now and this part is confusing me.. so the CAN-Bus system has a failsafe mode

1. Fail-safe control
When CAN communication with other control units is impossible, IPDM E/R performs fail-safe control.
After CAN communication returns to normal operation, it also returns to normal control.
Operation of control parts by IPDM E/R during fail-safe mode is as follows:

Front wiper
Until the ignition switch is turned off, the front wiper LO and HI remains in the same status it
was in just before fail−safe control was initiated.

I'm thinking about doing the IPDM test but I think it still might point back to the BCM.. speaking about that.. What makes it fail? Has anyone ever opened one up? It sounds like it has a relay inside of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts