Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched everywhere even at TitanTalk.com for a topic on my question to no avail. I have the Bose system in my 04 Armada LE and want to add the OEM Satellite radio. On the official Satellite radio instructions, it says (Model Application: Armada 2004 ~ last 6 digits of VIN is 738594 or later). My Armada VIN ends in 726495 so according to the instructions it won't work. I looked under thdash and have th N-Bus connector. So is my Armada pre-wired for it with the antenna wire also? And 2nd, my Bose headunit doesn't say "Sat" when I push the radio button and was wondering if I did install the satellite radio will the "Sat" selection appear when I press the radio button? I hate to drop $352 at my dealer to find out it won't work. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Gunslinger420 said:
I've searched everywhere even at TitanTalk.com for a topic on my question to no avail. I have the Bose system in my 04 Armada LE and want to add the OEM Satellite radio. On the official Satellite radio instructions, it says (Model Application: Armada 2004 ~ last 6 digits of VIN is 738594 or later). My Armada VIN ends in 726495 so according to the instructions it won't work. I looked under thdash and have th N-Bus connector. So is my Armada pre-wired for it with the antenna wire also? And 2nd, my Bose headunit doesn't say "Sat" when I push the radio button and was wondering if I did install the satellite radio will the "Sat" selection appear when I press the radio button? I hate to drop $352 at my dealer to find out it won't work. Any help would be appreciated.
You can install the radio, however you will have to run your own antenna wire since it is not prewired. I went through the same thing it is easy to fix. Contact crutchfield.com or your favorite audio supplier and order an antenna and splitter (if your antenna is single lead) and run it yourself around the headliner and such. I did it in about 45 minutes one night.

I would advise you go with Sirius, much better in my opinion and they are signing new talent left and right. I got the factory Sirius Tuner, a SirMini Terk Antenna (Very low profile) and a Terk splitter and everything works great.

I ran the antenna from the rear roof bulge (center of rear roof) through the weatherstripping (if you pull the stripping back you will see a small 1/4" cutout in the sheetmetal that is perfect for running the wire through) and up around the headliner to the back drivers door then ran it under all the floor trim to the tuner under the dash. The SirMini antenna is about 1/4 the size of the factory antenna and you cant even see it unless you are looking for it. You can also paint it to match whatever color vehicle you have, I left mine black since my Armada is Galaxy.

If you got any other specific questions feel free to ask.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kthrash said:
You can install the radio, however you will have to run your own antenna wire since it is not prewired. I went through the same thing it is easy to fix. Contact crutchfield.com or your favorite audio supplier and order an antenna and splitter (if your antenna is single lead) and run it yourself around the headliner and such. I did it in about 45 minutes one night.

I would advise you go with Sirius, much better in my opinion and they are signing new talent left and right. I got the factory Sirius Tuner, a SirMini Terk Antenna (Very low profile) and a Terk splitter and everything works great.

I ran the antenna from the rear roof bulge (center of rear roof) through the weatherstripping (if you pull the stripping back you will see a small 1/4" cutout in the sheetmetal that is perfect for running the wire through) and up around the headliner to the back drivers door then ran it under all the floor trim to the tuner under the dash. The SirMini antenna is about 1/4 the size of the factory antenna and you cant even see it unless you are looking for it. You can also paint it to match whatever color vehicle you have, I left mine black since my Armada is Galaxy.

If you got any other specific questions feel free to ask.
Did you have the "Sat" display available when you pressed the radio button a few times before you hooked up the Sirius? The manual says it cycles everytime you press the radio button to AM,FM,SAT on the display..then back to AM. Mine doesn't and was wondering if the Bose headunit senses the Sirius and makes the SAT available after its hooked up. Otherwise, my Bose headunit just cycles through AM and FM.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Look at both......

Yes, Sirius has made some headlines recently but so has XM. Give them
both a look. I've got XM and love it.

The answer to your antenna ques is that mine had an antenna prewire
that ran from the driver molding to the rear portion headliner, near where
the rear light is. You have to dig to find both ends. Mine was there.

I bought my xm from grubbs so they helped me to get the accessories i needed. 866 789 0207....Jamie

Their is no satellite button so when you hit "radio" button satellite becomes
an option with am and fm.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Gunslinger420 said:
Did you have the "Sat" display available when you pressed the radio button a few times before you hooked up the Sirius? The manual says it cycles everytime you press the radio button to AM,FM,SAT on the display..then back to AM. Mine doesn't and was wondering if the Bose headunit senses the Sirius and makes the SAT available after its hooked up. Otherwise, my Bose headunit just cycles through AM and FM.
Honestly dont know, the dealership half ass installed the tuner before I picked it up. I know about the antenna cause I had to replace the POS the dealership installed on the front roof above my windshield. (They were being lazy) Looked like my Armada had a wart.

From my reading on other sites and what research I did, your SAT dont show up until you actually have the tuner. My Armada was made in 11/03 so if yours was made after that I would assume you have nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kthrash said:
Honestly dont know, the dealership half ass installed the tuner before I picked it up. I know about the antenna cause I had to replace the POS the dealership installed on the front roof above my windshield. (They were being lazy) Looked like my Armada had a wart.

From my reading on other sites and what research I did, your SAT dont show up until you actually have the tuner. My Armada was made in 11/03 so if yours was made after that I would assume you have nothing to worry about.
My Armada was made in March. Thanks for all the info you've given me. I'm going to take the plunge for a Sirius like you mentioned. I'll let you know how it turned out.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kthrash said:

All the stuff I ordered arrived today. Got the Sirius tuner, antenna (dual lead), and antenna extension harness. I looked for the prewire in the back and they are both there. A curry colored one and a Green one. The Sirius antenna has two leads so I guess I don't need the splitter right? Going to get it installed for free at my dealership because I turned in a positive Customer Service survey to my service advisor and he hooked me up with a free install as long as I bought the parts. Those surveys mean a lot to the dealership and they always hook me up with stuff when I turn them in personally. You can get free oil changes, details, anything with labor. Can't get free parts though. I let you know how it all went after they put it in.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
You dont need the splitter with the 2 wire antenna.

You are gonna seriously love Sirius. Enjoy. :D

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kthrash said:
You dont need the splitter with the 2 wire antenna.

You are gonna seriously love Sirius. Enjoy. :D
Well.... After going over the instructions online and looking under the dash for a weeks I decided to install it myself. I wanted to make sure it was done right and no cutting corners as some dealer techs do. It took me 3.5 hours as I took my time and followed the instructions exactly. My wife walked in the garage in her PJ's as I was cutting the notch on the back lip with my dremel. She said "what the [email protected]#%! are you doing?" I started laughing because she's not the cussing type of woman. Yeah, she stayed and watched till I put that little grommet on and the weather strip back on and she just gave me a smirk and went back inside. Just got done and activated the account in quarterly payments. I'm just not prepared to pay $499 for a lifetime membership. I wanted to thank you again for the Sirius recommendation. It was a smooth install!!!!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Enjoy... Next time you take a long trip and set the radio and forget it you will wonder how you ever lived without it.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Go to titantalk.com

Lot's of info there.

All you need is the OEM tuner, a low profile antenna (and splitter for it). Don't buy the OEM antenna extension or mounting brackets.

The antenna easily runs from the center of your rear roof hiden under the moldings all the way up front.

Just bolt the tuner to the knee plate below your steering wheel. Plug in the N-bus and the antenna and you're done.

Photos and full details are on titantalk. Read there and you be done in less than an hour. The install requires no special skills and is a no-brainer.

To push the cables behind the mouldings the professional nylon tool works best but a small rubber spatula handle wors great too. Just don't use anything metal like a screw driver or putty knife. If you have girly nails your fingers will work fine too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts