Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been saving up for this and it was finally time to do it. Engine light was on and MPG went from bad to worse. After checking codes, I figured it was either a crack in the factory manifold or an O2 sensor really was going out. Either way I wanted the new exhaust so instead of wasting diagnostic time and money or playing parts darts, I replaced it all. Turns out my manifolds are fine, two sensors were out. I chose the heavy cats and added the resonator as well. The result sounds great! Wife says it's a little loud, but not too bad (she'll get used to it!)...real test will be someday when we're towing and pulling a load! Still doing Uprev tune with Joe.
About the install. I didn't have the time due to my job and as this is my wife's vehicle for running kids and dogs around, she can't afford much down time. First couple of shops I went to were aware of the difficulties in changing the headers on the Armada and didn't want any part of it! Found a guy with a really cool custom hot rod shop who was glad to do it. Ended up taking 4 days! It was a tougher job than he anticipated but there were some parts issues that delayed us as well. Turns out there were some part changes mid year in 2013, so I had ordered a couple of wrong O2 sensors...need the 2014 O2 sensors which cost 2.5x more! And the on-line vendor I ordered the Gaskets from had shipped the completely wrong parts!
Here's the Uprev maps I'm thinking of having Joe done up for me, keep in mind it's a family run about that tows occasionally. I'd be glad to hear of any experience others have had out there with various tunes...yes I know high octane stupid fast track performance tune is awesome (I might get it just to experience it!) But is there any other practical reason to do high octane?
1.87 ECO
2.87 Performance
3.87 Tow
4.???
5.???

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Congrats on the install - not super cheap or easy but you can see why everyone who has done it recommends it - it is a good setup.

For tunes I went with 1-performance (not high octane) 2 - Eco 3 - Teenager mode (I think detuned, lower max rpm) and 4 - security (stalls if you touch the throttle but will start/idle)

I leave it in #1 all the time. I never noticed any difference with #2 - feels the same and same mpg. 6 more months until my oldest drives so I haven't used that yet. I use #4 when I leave the car at the airport or something like that, so not often. I wouldn't spend too much time on the different tunes - just get the main one set up right.

I may be wrong but I don't think you are going to see any significant mpg increases here - still a big V8 pushing a 5500 lb box.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I just put the Cajun stage 1 on mine and completed the UpRev tuning.
I put the 91 octane on just to have it. I've used it before with my SuperChips tune, and it can be a lot of fun to see what this engine can do!
It doesn't cost any more to have Joe put it on now.
I had him remove the Valet map.
I left the security map on. Doubt I will ever use it, but I guess it could come in handy if I park at an airport for a lengthy period of time.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the install - not super cheap or easy but you can see why everyone who has done it recommends it - it is a good setup.

For tunes I went with 1-performance (not high octane) 2 - Eco 3 - Teenager mode (I think detuned, lower max rpm) and 4 - security (stalls if you touch the throttle but will start/idle)

I leave it in #1 all the time. I never noticed any difference with #2 - feels the same and same mpg. 6 more months until my oldest drives so I haven't used that yet. I use #4 when I leave the car at the airport or something like that, so not often. I wouldn't spend too much time on the different tunes - just get the main one set up right.

I may be wrong but I don't think you are going to see any significant mpg increases here - still a big V8 pushing a 5500 lb box.
I like the teenage mode, my son is quite the motor head and is about to get his license!

Definitely not expecting significant MPG, at least having properly working O2 sensors should bring it back up to normal.

·
Vendor
187 Posts
I like the teenage mode, my son is quite the motor head and is about to get his license!
For customers with teen drivers I like to do something like a toned down map (stock throttle and timing) with a top speed limiter at say 80. They won't know anything is different until they try and get on it.... we were all young once :sneaky::sneaky:

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am interested in a fuel mileage tune.

How does it feel without the tune?
I didn't try it much without the tune, wanted to get it tuned right away! I could hear the difference in exhaust sound with the tune...my son and I both found that interesting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been saving up for this and it was finally time to do it. Engine light was on and MPG went from bad to worse. After checking codes, I figured it was either a crack in the factory manifold or an O2 sensor really was going out. Either way I wanted the new exhaust so instead of wasting diagnostic time and money or playing parts darts, I replaced it all. Turns out my manifolds are fine, two sensors were out. I chose the heavy cats and added the resonator as well. The result sounds great! Wife says it's a little loud, but not too bad (she'll get used to it!)...real test will be someday when we're towing and pulling a load! Still doing Uprev tune with Joe.
About the install. I didn't have the time due to my job and as this is my wife's vehicle for running kids and dogs around, she can't afford much down time. First couple of shops I went to were aware of the difficulties in changing the headers on the Armada and didn't want any part of it! Found a guy with a really cool custom hot rod shop who was glad to do it. Ended up taking 4 days! It was a tougher job than he anticipated but there were some parts issues that delayed us as well. Turns out there were some part changes mid year in 2013, so I had ordered a couple of wrong O2 sensors...need the 2014 O2 sensors which cost 2.5x more! And the on-line vendor I ordered the Gaskets from had shipped the completely wrong parts!
Here's the Uprev maps I'm thinking of having Joe done up for me, keep in mind it's a family run about that tows occasionally. I'd be glad to hear of any experience others have had out there with various tunes...yes I know high octane stupid fast track performance tune is awesome (I might get it just to experience it!) But is there any other practical reason to do high octane?
1.87 ECO
2.87 Performance
3.87 Tow
4.???
5.???

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm non owner, looking for an 05-08 with tow pkg, up to 150k miles. The cost of manifold install++ concerns my budget, on top of the purchase. What did the labor and or total job cost. Finding someone to do the job sounds difficult. I'm in NNJ. At this point I'm too old, out of shape to consider a DIY on the street, based on the descriptions I've read. Planning to tow a 6-7k# live aboard trailer. Considering a Suburban is revolting. Thanks, Joel

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Joel - not every manifold cracks but it is something you should be aware of before you buy. Every car has their problems.

I am a slightly above average home mechanic and I did the job in 9 hours in my driveway. I would think I decent mechanic with a lift and all the tools could do it 5-6 hours. Although I think someone here just paid someone who took 8 hours. So you have that labor and your local rate + the costs of whatever parts you put in - could be this set up or stock or aftermarket headers. Up to you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Joel - not every manifold cracks but it is something you should be aware of before you buy. Every car has their problems.

I am a slightly above average home mechanic and I did the job in 9 hours in my driveway. I would think I decent mechanic with a lift and all the tools could do it 5-6 hours. Although I think someone here just paid someone who took 8 hours. So you have that labor and your local rate + the costs of whatever parts you put in - could be this set up or stock or aftermarket headers. Up to you.
Staplebox, thanks for pointing out that not all manifolds crack. Reading here I had the impression cracks occur after 100k, period. I also read 8-10 hrs labor by pro willing to do the job is common, with a $2-3k cost. 1st time is the hardest. n8dogg talks about 4 days, on and off, to complete project. I only have the 1 car, limiting my ability to get stuff.

I was an averagish DIY mechanic, doing most repairs myself. I've mostly owned Used EU imports, Citroens, Saabs, Volvos, current is '99 95 Saab w/240K mi, with a few domestics, mixed in as well.
Is there a code that shows leaking manifold as I shop retail or have contact at wholesale auction?
If I buy retail, a provision is dealer prepurchase inspection, which I have never done before. Thanks
My favorite, prejudice, car chase videos, below. My first car, '50's Citroen 2CV (HP) was grey with a similar appearance to this one at the end of the chase.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I was an averagish DIY mechanic, doing most repairs myself. I've mostly owned Used EU imports, Citroens, Saabs, Volvos, current is '99 95 Saab w/240K mi, with a few domestics, mixed in as well.
Saabs are great. I've owned like 8 of them over the last 20 years, as well as a few BMWs, and a VW.

The B234 engines are stout, and will take lots of boost. And now I miss my 1997 9000 Aero...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Saabs are great. I've owned like 8 of them over the last 20 years, as well as a few BMWs, and a VW.

The B234 engines are stout, and will take lots of boost. And now I miss my 1997 9000 Aero...
Dan, end of an era for xxxcentrics. Most of mine were used, 99, 900, 95. My daughter in law had the 9000. I'm responsible for close to 20 Sobs thru my son and his friends. Wana trade an '05 LE for a '99 95 SE and a couple a bucks, with one wheel still firmly still outa the grave?? J:)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What did the labor and or total job cost.
Ended up costing $1300 in labor alone...I shopped around and that was the best I could get! Others were quoting 2k. That was mostly due to the headers, but I did have the entire exhaust replaced and had some welding done in place of clamps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ended up costing $1300 in labor alone...I shopped around and that was the best I could get! Others were quoting 2k. That was mostly due to the headers, but I did have the entire exhaust replaced and had some welding done in place of clamps.
Thanks.
As suggested in the threads, I read Titantalks.com for more info

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Dan, end of an era for xxxcentrics. Most of mine were used, 99, 900, 95. My daughter in law had the 9000. I'm responsible for close to 20 Sobs thru my son and his friends. Wana trade an '05 LE for a '99 95 SE and a couple a bucks, with one wheel still firmly still outa the grave?? J:)
I might get another c900 or 9000 if the timing and condition are right. The c900 with its log manifold and a full 3" exhaust sounds amazing.

I will have to decline your offer for a trade, lol. I actually hated my 9-5 Aero. It was fast and comfy, but felt so plast-icky and cheap. I sold it after driving it for less than a year, (was given a 2005 BMW 330xi with 225,xxx miles and a new engine at the time also) and bought a 2004 Xterra 5speed. That was a fun rig.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I might get another c900 or 9000 if the timing and condition are right. The c900 with its log manifold and a full 3" exhaust sounds amazing.

I will have to decline your offer for a trade, lol. I actually hated my 9-5 Aero. It was fast and comfy, but felt so plast-icky and cheap. I sold it after driving it for less than a year, (was given a 2005 BMW 330xi with 225,xxx miles and a new engine at the time also) and bought a 2004 Xterra 5speed. That was a fun rig.
In my '84 900S, company car, when it was muffler time, I had a performance manifold and quietest flo-thru muffler installed. Engine sounded and ran much better. My GF didn't like noise from the quietest muffler. I'm not a Hi Power guy. My daily R/T commute was 60 mi from Long Island to NYC++. The drive time was 3-4 hours/day. Sometimes in NYC, the stop light would turn red 3-4 times before one traversed each block. Didn't matter how much HP one had. On the road 75-85 when conditions allowed, based on the CB radio....
The 95 was not a Saab. It was a Gentleman's EU style car made by the Generally Mediocre Car Co.The warping rotors came from their Saturn line. Plus other failing parts that came from their other product lines.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
In my '84 900S, company car, when it was muffler time, I had a performance manifold and quietest flo-thru muffler installed. Engine sounded and ran much better. My GF didn't like noise from the quietest muffler. I'm not a Hi Power guy. My daily R/T commute was 60 mi from Long Island to NYC++. The drive time was 3-4 hours/day. Sometimes in NYC, the stop light would turn red 3-4 times before one traversed each block. Didn't matter how much HP one had. On the road 75-85 when conditions allowed, based on the CB radio....
The 95 was not a Saab. It was a Gentleman's EU style car made by the Generally Mediocre Car Co.The warping rotors came from their Saturn line. Plus other failing parts that came from their other product lines.
I konw all about the General Malaise global influence.

I rate my 9000 Aero as the best car they made. My '88 900 SPG was close, but the gearbox case was made of glass, and after grenading two of them I moved on. I think I've owned seven c900s, one 9000, and one 9-5.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts