Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

381 - 389 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
just My Opinion,
but "D" just feels like an Overdrive version of 4th....
I wouldn't necessarily have thought it was a Mistake to be in 4th, often or continuously, but I would be inquisitive to know why this may be harmful or a mistake.....
After doing some searching with the site you are not the only one to have been using 4th on a regular basis. Several others have started threads about it. It seems that most have realized they should be using "D'' while normal driving. The owners manual does point out on the older model that you should not be going over a certain MPH in 4th gear. Others have shared if driving in 4th often you are consuming more gas than you should be. In other words the common thought shared was 5th gear is not working the engine and components as much and maximizing fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
After doing some searching with the site you are not the only one to have been using 4th on a regular basis. Several others have started threads about it. It seems that most have realized they should be using "D'' while normal driving. The owners manual does point out on the older model that you should not be going over a certain MPH in 4th gear. Others have shared if driving in 4th often you are consuming more gas than you should be. In other words the common thought shared was 5th gear is not working the engine and components as much and maximizing fuel economy.
I've never truly thought about it, in that technical of depth;
My Line of thinking wasn't to completely avoid it (O/D or 5th Gear), but rather the way My mind thought of it was, to watch the RPM's (not solid stare focused, but subliminally-so....peripheral vision-like), and My mind would also listen to the RPM's of My SUV (Header's & Exhaust Mod's helped Me listen too....LoL), and if I was surging past 2750-rpm's, then I would shift into 5th ("D")...so as not to put additional strain on the Motor.....
the drop into "D" (or 5th), would then drop My RPM's by roughly about 500-rpm's, thereby backing it off of the 3K mark.....

what I find fascinating, is that My SUV is still getting the MPG, that I had from it's first Year....
**I did many MOD's, before I even started driving it (Bigger Wheel's/Tires, Exhaust MOD, Cold-Air Intake). My way of gauging My Fuel Consumption, was by First Quarter of Tank use, & Half-Tank Mileage on Trip-Odometer (If I was getting at least 100 miles on First qrtr., & 200+ on First Half Tank of Fuel, I was doing good....in My Opinion).
***to this day, 12++ Yrs later, I still use that method, & still get 100+ miles on 1st Qrtr., & 200++ on 1st Half-Tank, typically on Hwy Travel.

Thanx Tanks for the Feedback !!!!
Hope You're getting the Most out of Your Armada, & enjoying every Minute of it !!!

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
2008 LE with 143k

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

381 - 389 of 389 Posts