Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the service bulletin linked above. The Nissan dealership service department here reprogrammed the ECM and I haven’t had any problems since. Been about six weeks.
I have been having battery issues for 2 years. Purchase 2014 qx80 brand new. I am going to try the reprogramming and hope it works.My brother wants to purchase the vehicle which I refuse to sell him if there are these known issues that cannot be resolved. Going for vehicle service tomorrow

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i just got mine back from Infiniti for the 3rd time last night. They swear they have fixed it now, here is what they did: DE-PIN THE IPDM IN ORDER TO HAVE THE ALTERNATOR NOT CYCLE ON AND OFF BUT TO REMAIN ON AT ALL TIMES. IPDM PIN #33
I'm still not convinced and am going to pursue the Lemon Law here in Florida. My wife and kids are driving it and the change they made was described to me and was nearly identical to what they said the last time. Good luck!
Has anything worked? I am also I. Florida and mine 2019 Armada is on its second breakdown and towed to the dealer. It’s been there theee days when I just called they said they think it’s a fuse issue caused when pressing the break to start it. I can’t keep having it breakdown.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so i recently discussed this issue with infiniti and what they assume is the problem is the smart start function..some infinitis do not have this seems like certain dealerships add this... anyway my infiniti just disconnected the smart start and they were going to charge me but I told them look I have been having this issue over and over there has got to be something on inifiniti part I am not the only one I am sure I am not your first. so they waived the $140 cost to disconnect the smart start and its been a month with no problems..

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i just got mine back from Infiniti for the 3rd time last night. They swear they have fixed it now, here is what they did: DE-PIN THE IPDM IN ORDER TO HAVE THE ALTERNATOR NOT CYCLE ON AND OFF BUT TO REMAIN ON AT ALL TIMES. IPDM PIN #33
I'm still not convinced and am going to pursue the Lemon Law here in Florida. My wife and kids are driving it and the change they made was described to me and was nearly identical to what they said the last time. Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone on here continuing to have problems? My 2019 armada battery drained again this weekend And had to be jumped to start. This will now be the fifth time taking it in. Supposedly they reprogrammed the ECM on the fourth trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to thank many of you that have posted on this topic. We have a 2019 Armada, our 3rd one and are officially beginning the “lemon Law” process. We picked up the Armada from the dealership yesterday for the 5th time for the “dead Battery” issue.
I thought our troubles were over when tchjts1 provided the link (thank you for that) for the reboot since we went 5-6 weeks with no issues...that was 2 service visits ago.
Interesting that the dealership told me they have sent my case to the engineers at the factory and expect to have some feedback next Tuesday.
It took 5 visits for you to ask the engineers???
Anyway, it’s been 3 months since anyone has posted on this subject and I’ve got a few questions and was hoping anyone with experience could reply.
Anyone have this issue that’s now fixed (no issues in a few months)?
Has anyone gone the Lemon Law route with Nissan?
I’m concerned since we bought the rig in October of 2018 and it has 27k miles, and we decided to go the Platinum Reserve route. Not bragging just stating because of the price tag and now high miles, I’m going to take a bath on what they offer. I can hear my dad now, Never Buy New, but this was our first New Armada.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Depends on what state you are in. Here in California the lemon laws are pretty strict. We did it on our first Armada, our 2004. Remember that your compensation is based on the mileage on the vehicle when the problem first occurred.

May want to Google lemon law attorneys in your state. That what we did. They kept $750 of our settlement plus whatever Nissan paid them (if anything).

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to thank many of you that have posted on this topic. We have a 2019 Armada, our 3rd one and are officially beginning the “lemon Law” process. We picked up the Armada from the dealership yesterday for the 5th time for the “dead Battery” issue.
I thought our troubles were over when tchjts1 provided the link (thank you for that) for the reboot since we went 5-6 weeks with no issues...that was 2 service visits ago.
Interesting that the dealership told me they have sent my case to the engineers at the factory and expect to have some feedback next Tuesday.
Anyway, it’s been 3 months since anyone has posted on this subject and I’ve got a few questions and was hoping anyone with experience could reply.
I’m concerned since we bought the rig in October of 2018 and it has 27k miles, and we decided to go the Platinum Reserve route. Not bragging just stating because of the price tag and now high miles, I’m going to take a bath on what they offer. I can hear my dad now, Never Buy New, but this was our first New Armada.
Was told the same thing by Nissan service on my trip this week for another dead battery. This has been 5th trip. I’ve filed complaint with Nissan corporate and the BBB to start the lemon law process as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The problem is the same as I have on a 1 year old Infiniti 2018 QX80. Brought it in three, maybe four, times now. First time replaced battery due to a bad cell. Second time replaced a fuse and recharged. Third time had to start with a Lithium Juice pack four times in two days. Bought my own battery checking device and the lithium juice pack after the first time. Checked battery capacity a week ago - 100%. Checked after the failures after a week of driving 15-20 /day it read 5%. So my guess was either the alternator was not charging the battery or something was remaining on. A normal juice pack wont even crank it over. Today brought it in and the check engine light came on too along with a misfire message which means not enough juice for the engine. I left the engine running so they could see the maintenance message that came up on the Infotainment system. Dealer called two hours later and said Infiniti had come out with a software technical bulletin in September 2019 to install new software on the Engine Control Module which must interface with the Infotainment system as well. Installed new software and replaced battery free of charge. It apparently was not sending the correct info to the alternator to supply more current to charge the battery. In the old days if the alternator was bad your battery wouldn't charge. Today now you have the extra complication of if the ECM doesn't work right it wont tell the alternator to provide more charge to the battery. So now it could be the ECM or the alternator. Go to the dealer and have them do the software update and new battery. I would also buy one of the new age charge packs and a battery tester. I couldnt have started my vehicle 4 times today without it.
Is your SUV running better now? I have 2019 Nissan Armada doing the same thing.

Is your SUV running better now?
Because I have a 2019 Nissan Armada doing the same as your SUV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Because I have a 2019 Nissan Armada doing the same as your SUV
Mine runs better for a few weeks/months after they've recharged the battery, but inevitably drains again. I am scheduled to go in next week and they are getting me a new "bigger" Interstate battery they said should fix the problem. Call 1 (800) 647-7261 Nissan Customer Service if the tech's aren't helping. This will be the last Nissan I purchase. It seems to be a problem in their trucks for multiple years and they continue manufacturing them without addressing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine runs better for a few weeks/months after they've recharged the battery, but inevitably drains again. I am scheduled to go in next week and they are getting me a new "bigger" Interstate battery they said should fix the problem. Call 1 (800) 647-7261 Nissan Customer Service if the tech's aren't helping. This will be the last Nissan I purchase. It seems to be a problem in their trucks for multiple years and they continue manufacturing them without addressing.
Did you do the recall, (Engine Control Module and replace the battery) and you still have problems with battery draining.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, did the recall/ecm reprogram in January and it died again in April. Nissan tech said he had another Armada having the same problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, did the recall/ecm reprogram in January and it died again in April. Nissan tech said he had another Armada having the same problem.
What exactly is your doing. When I get in mine and press the brake to start it. My dash lights just come on. I’m trying to contact a lawyer for the lemon law in Tenn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's the same thing. Won't even turn over. According to my Nissan dealer service tech the issue is still in review by the engineers and they aren't sure what the cause or fix is. They think the battery may fix it, but said it is still under review.

·
Registered
6 Posts

What’s the outcome for you 2019 Nissan Armada. Are you still having battery drainage problems?

What’s the outcome for you 2019 Nissan Armada. Are you still having battery drainage problems?
update: I just talked to a lawyer he said it most states you have to have took you vehicle in at less 3 times for the same problem. I remember you said it was your 5th time it’s time to talk to a lawyer. It seem to be a problem with the Armadas.

The problem is the same as I have on a 1 year old Infiniti 2018 QX80. Brought it in three, maybe four, times now. First time replaced battery due to a bad cell. Second time replaced a fuse and recharged. Third time had to start with a Lithium Juice pack four times in two days. Bought my own battery checking device and the lithium juice pack after the first time. Checked battery capacity a week ago - 100%. Checked after the failures after a week of driving 15-20 /day it read 5%. So my guess was either the
alternator was not charging the battery or something was remaining on. A normal juice pack wont even crank it over. Today brought it in and the check engine light came on too along with a misfire message which means not enough juice for the engine. I left the engine running so they could see the maintenance message that came up on the Infotainment system. Dealer called two hours later and said Infiniti had come out with a software technical bulletin in September 2019 to install new software on the Engine Control Module which must interface with the Infotainment system as well. Installed new software and replaced battery free of charge. It apparently was not sending the correct info to the alternator to supply more current to charge the battery. In the old days if the alternator was bad your battery wouldn't charge. Today now you have the extra complication of if the ECM doesn't work right it wont tell the alternator to provide more charge to the battery. So now it could be the ECM or the alternator. Go to the dealer and have them do the software update and new battery. I would also buy one of the new age charge packs and a battery tester. I couldnt have started my vehicle 4 times today without it.
I’m having the same problem with my 2019 Nissan Armada. Did the reprogramming of the ECM and a new battery fix your problem?

The problem is the same as I have on a 1 year old Infiniti 2018 QX80. Brought it in three, maybe four, times now. First time replaced battery due to a bad cell. Second time replaced a fuse and recharged. Third time had to start with a Lithium Juice pack four times in two days. Bought my own battery checking device and the lithium juice pack after the first time. Checked battery capacity a week ago - 100%. Checked after the failures after a week of driving 15-20 /day it read 5%. So my guess was either the alternator was not charging the battery or something was remaining on. A normal juice pack wont even crank it over. Today brought it in and the check engine light came on too along with a misfire message which means not enough juice for the engine. I left the engine running so they could see the maintenance message that came up on the Infotainment system. Dealer called two hours later and said Infiniti had come out with a software technical bulletin in September 2019 to install new software on the Engine Control Module which must interface with the Infotainment system as well. Installed new software and replaced battery free of charge. It apparently was not sending the correct info to the alternator to supply more current to charge the battery. In the old days if the alternator was bad your battery wouldn't charge. Today now you have the extra complication of if the ECM doesn't work right it wont tell the alternator to provide more charge to the battery. So now it could be the ECM or the alternator. Go to the dealer and have them do the software update and new battery. I would also buy one of the new age charge packs and a battery tester. I couldnt have started my vehicle 4 times today without it.
Did the ECM and battery change fix the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2012 qx56, bought used in 2015 it ran with no problems for about 2 years and then one day parked at my sister in laws it dies on me, engine would crank but not turn over and the more I pressed the start button the less juice it would have to turn over. AAA came charged the battery but said that the battery and alternator were both good. Had the battery chaged out to a new one at Autozone even though the Infiniti battery was still under warranty. No problems for 1 year then it started to happen again where the truck would start fine.. drive to my destination and no matter what length of time the truck was off, when I would try to start it it wouldn't start so I had to get a jump.. now it is happening about once a month.. I have bought a battery charger because I am always in fear of this truck not starting once I turn it off and I don't want to wait for AAA. I have no idea what the problem is and am thinking of getting rid of the truck.

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
the "problem" is short, stops and not getting the battery enough time to recharge. the nissan charging system is designed with emissions in mind - meaning the system keeps the charge current low /minimal just enough to meet the demands of what the system is asking, and nothing more.

at a cold startup, you see the battery meter spike to 14+ volts, then after 30-45 seconds ish it goes back down to 13 volts. that is the design of the system. at times, the volts will go up a couple volts (you turn on the headlamps, you turn on the AC, some sensor needs more current).

so with this low charge current, the battery wont ever be charged back to 14 volts, unless you drive for some hours.

that weird looking block thing on the negative battery cable at the battery post? thats the sensor that senses how much current is being used by the car and it alerts the ECM that in turn increases voltage demand. some cats have removed this sensor, and when doing so, the alternator charges /send voltage at a much higher rate.

you car is likely fine, but i totally understand your dilemma! i bought a second battery to swap out with and keep one charged.

i recommend you invest in this little guy:

you can use this to keep track of your battery at rest and also see the charge state dynamically. i had this on my Qx...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply but, this happens regardless of if it is a short drive doing errands or a 3 hour drive.. no car or truck at this age should run like this, and none of my past cars have.. I shouldn't have to buy a spare battery, a trickle charge or a battery booster just to make sure I can make it home from where I am because the truck will not start. That is unacceptable on the part of Infiniti.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I posted this over at a dedicated Infiniti forum and pretty much echoes what marctronixx has mentioned about the battery current sensor.

The ECM controlled alternator could be part of this problem.
The battery current sensor attaches to the negative battery. With the harness unplugged and ignition ON, signal wire should have an output of at least 5V. You can either de-pin or cut the wire; I cut the wire and spliced on bullet connectors so when I would bring the truck in for annual emmissions (NYC), I would connect it back on so it wouldn't trigger a DTC for the battery current sensor.
Why do this? The alternator now works as a traditional charging alternator. My Northstar battery is always a constant 14V+, even with the A/C running. Even at rest, the lowest I've seen the battery voltage was around 12.9V. We all know a weak or failing battery can throw in a mix of electrical issues so this DIY wouldn't hurt ruling out the ECM controlled alternator being a possible cause of this issue.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts